Tuesday, March 5, 2013

I wake up to the sound of music...


Below are some quotes about my feelings on music.  I have come to realize very powerfully recently that I have always been and will always be a musician.  I have shed so much within the last 10 years...but music I just cannot shake.  When I went to research the connection I found these.  Some funny and some deadly serious...enjoy. - Keith Sudano

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche


“If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.”― Albert Einstein


“If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC” ― Kurt Vonnegut


“Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent”
 ― Victor Hugo

“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination
and life to everything.” ― Plato.

“Music is to the soul what words are to the mind.” ― Modest Mouse

“The only truth is music.” ― Jack Kerouac

“Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy” ― Ludwig van Beethoven



“If music be the food of love, play on, Give me excess of it; that surfeiting, The appetite may sicken, and so die.” ― William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”Friedrich Nietzsche

“Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.”Maya Angelou

“After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.” ― Aldous Huxley, Music At Night: And Other Essays

“Life is for the living.
Death is for the dead.
Let life be like music.
And death a note unsaid.”
 Langston Hughes, The Collected Poems


“And I thought about how many people have loved those songs. And how many people got through a lot of bad times because of those songs. And how many people enjoyed good times with those songs. And how much those songs really mean. I think it would be great to have written one of those songs. I bet if I wrote one of them, I would be very proud. I hope the people who wrote those songs are happy. I hope they feel it's enough. I really do because they've made me happy. And I'm only one person.”
 Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

“Some people have lives; some people have music.” ― John Green, Will Grayson

“The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats...”Albert Schweitzer

To stop the flow of music would be like the stopping of time itself, incredible and inconceivable.” ― Aaron Copland


“Music . . . can name the unnamable and communicate the unknowable.” ― Leonard Bernstein

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

“Because when he sings...even the birds stop to listen.” ― Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games


“A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.” ― Leopold Stokowski


“Who hears music, feels his solitude peopled at once.” ― Robert Browning


“I just can't listen to any more Wagner, you know...I'm starting to get the urge to conquer Poland.”Woody Allen

“Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!” ― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

“I don't stand for black man's side, I don't stand for white man's side, I stand for God's side.” ― Bob Marley

“Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't.”  Johnny Depp

“I Wanna Hold Your Hand.’ First single. Fucking brilliant. Perhaps the most fucking brilliant song ever written. Because they nailed it. That’s what everyone wants. Not 24-7 hot wet sex. Not a marriage that lasts a hundred years. Not a Porsche or a blow job or a million-dollar crib. No. They wanna hold your hand. They have a feeling that they can’t hide.” ― Rachel Cohn, Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist

“Music is the universal language of mankind.”  Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

“For those of you in the cheap seats I'd like ya to clap your hands to this one; the rest of you can just rattle your jewelry!”  John Lennon

“When you make music or write or create, it's really your job to have mind-blowing, irresponsible, condomless sex with whatever idea it is you're writing about at the time. ”  Lady Gaga

“If being an egomaniac means I believe in what I do and in my art or music, then in that respect you can call me that... I believe in what I do, and I'll say it.” ― John Lennon

“I've always thought people would find a lot more pleasure in their routines if they burst into song at significant moments.” ― John Barrowman

“A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people to whom it is easy to do good, and who are not accustomed to have it done to them; then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbor — such is my idea of happiness.”
  Leo Tolstoy

“Have you ever heard somebody sing some lyrics that you've never sung before, and you realize you've never sung the right words in that song? You hear them and all of a sudden you say to yourself, 'Life in the Fast Lane?' That's what they're saying right there? You think, 'why have I been singing 'wipe in the vaseline?' how many people have heard me sing 'wipe in the vaseline?' I am an idiot.”  Ellen DeGeneres

“Music is the great uniter. An incredible force. Something that people who differ on everything and anything else can have in common.” ― Sarah Dessen, Just Listen

“Where words fail, music speaks.” ― Hans Christian Andersen

“So don't you worry your pretty little mind because people throw rocks at things that shine. “ ― Taylor Swift

“Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.” ― Robert Fripp

“I love the relationship that anyone has with music ... because there's something in us that is beyond the reach of words, something that eludes and defies our best attempts to spit it out. ... It's the best part of us probably ...”  Nick Hornby

“There ain't no devil, only God when he's drunk.” ― Tom Waits

“The music is not in the notes,but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

“Beethoven tells you what it's like to be Beethoven and Mozart tells you what it's like to be human. Bach tells you what it's like to be the universe.”  Douglas Adams

“Music is an agreeable harmony for the honor of God and the permissible delights of the soul.”
 Johann Sebastian Bach

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”  Maria von Trapp


“Music is the language of the spirit. It opens the secret of life bringing peace, abolishing strife.”
 Kahlil Gibran

“You have to, take a deep breath. and allow the music to flow through you. Revel in it, allow yourself to awe. When you play allow the music to break your heart with its beauty.”  Kelly White

“Music is everybody's business. It's only the publishers who think people own it” ― John Lennon

“Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.”  Henry David Thoreau

“If you cannot teach me to fly, teach me to sing.”  J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

“If it weren't for music, I would think that love is mortal.”  Mark Helprin, A Soldier of the Great War

“Music is an outburst of the soul.”  Frederick Delius

“My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary.”  Martin Luther


“Music is crucial. Beyond no way can I overstress this fact. Let's say you're southbound on the interstate, cruising alone in the middle lane, listening to AM radio. Up alongside comes a tractor trailer of logs or concrete pipe, a tie-down strap breaks, and the load dumps on top of your little sheetmetal ride. Crushed under a world of concrete, you're sandwiched like so much meat salad between layers of steel and glass. In that last, fast flutter of your eyelids, you looking down that long tunnel toward the bright God Light and your dead grandma walking up to hug you--do you want to be hearing another radio commercial for a mega, clearance, closeout, blow-out liquidation car-stereo sale?” ― Chuck Palahniuk, Rant



“Joy, sorrow, tears, lamentation, laughter -- to all these music gives voice, but in such a way that we are transported from the world of unrest to a world of peace, and see reality in a new way, as if we were sitting by a mountain lake and contemplating hills and woods and clouds in the tranquil and fathomless water.”Albert Schweitzer




“I never liked jazz music because jazz music doesn't resolve. But I was outside the Bagdad Theater in Portland one night when I saw a man playing the saxophone. I stood there for fifteen minutes, and he never opened his eyes.

After that I liked jazz music.

Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself. It is as if they are showing you the way.

I used to not like God because God didn't resolve. But that was before any of this happened.”
 Donald Miller, Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality



“We are the music-makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams.
World-losers and world-forsakers,
Upon whom the pale moon gleams;
Yet we are the movers and shakers,
Of the world forever, it seems.”
 Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Poems of Arthur O'Shaughnessy


“I wake up to the sound of music, Mother Mary comes to me
 Speaking words of wisdom, let it be”― Paul McCartney


Yet when that dance becomes destructive, it does not mean that I am guilty, that I have corrupted my being. For the outer universe may dance to my music, but my inner being dances only to my Father's music, and He only sings of innocence. - Jesus/ACIM



No comments:

Post a Comment