Thursday, April 12, 2012

Why I do not wish to speak

Those who speak do not know. Those who know do not speak. - Lao Tsu 56th verse of the Tao

 In Dr. Wayne Dyer’s book called, ‘Change Your Thoughts... Change Your Life’ written about the entire Tao... he says:

“Get honest with yourself about wanting to win the favor of others. You don’t have to prove anything to anyone, and you’ll never succeed by droning on and on.
Remember that “those who talk do not know.”

“Talking to convince others actually says more about your need to be right than their need to hear what you have to say! So rather than trying to persuade others, keep quiet...just enjoy that deeply satisfying inner awareness.”


"Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw pearls before swine, lest they
trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces." (Matthew 7:6).

I was pondering this line of the Tao deeply last night.  I was pondering why I speak very little outside my office. I have intent to write my thoughts here, to begin discussion here...somewhere...anywhere but rarely do.  The motivation is so low it barely registers.  I have come to realize this must be some old desire when I had to spread the "word" whatever word I was pushing at the time.  Now, here I am...with more to share and say than any other time in my history and I have very little desire. 

It was a policy, now it is a part of me that I do not say much to anyone outside of my office about Spiritual, inner, deep matters & subjects.  As some of you may know I am firm on solicitation.  In the past I attempted to "prove" my way.  I have come to realize that to attempt to prove, debate, argue, conflict or TRY is attack.  It also says you are uncertain of your knowing...and therefore you do not know.  I have become more and more unwilling to speak to others about much when I sense at all they are interested only in "proving" their point.  I often smile now and nod. I have even found myself saying "your right" and allowing the conversation to pass. 

If I feel I may "know" something, I have come to realize this is most likely the truth when I have no desire whatsoever to speak to anyone about it who puts up one bit of resistance to learning it.  If I debate or argue an issue I am conflicted about that issue.  I am trying to prove my way and beliefs are "right" when I feel and know deeply they are not.

I used to argue my way, my beliefs.  I was "smart" and "intelligent" too so it made me a danger to myself.  I could "prove" others "wrong" with my wit and knowledge.  I would get angry when someone disagreed...I was ACTUALLY testing my own resolve, my own doubt about which I was speaking.  And it was a dangerous tactic, I was attempting to be right and therefore keep the very knowledge I claimed to possess away from me.  I wanted to be right, and therefore "prove" God ultimately to be "wrong."  Through this impossibility I was attempting to seek the truth even though I thought I had already obtained it. Ironic...

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
" - Albert Einstein

To think we can "prove" something in the face of that statement is strange indeed.  How could we?   Those who quote science for their own attempt to be "right" are no different than those who quote Biblical verses or partials thereof to be "right."  We feel if we can find, convert or manipulate as many people as possible to agree with us we must be right.  To have a majority means nothing, to know the truth will put you immediately in the minority, you will not be special but you will be sought out.  Since all are actually in a perpetual state of seeking the truth you do not have to go looking for them.  They will come to you in their seeking.  It is within us to do so and it is only a matter of time before it occurs in all of us.  You will know this when they solicit you, it will and must be clear when they do. (I will clarify that more if I find that anyone really wants to hear and understand that...it is my attempt to see if anyone here is soliciting. 

And then; outside of those moments you will rarely speak, because you will know.


4 comments:

  1. freaking love this Keith!! thank you for posting. you have taught me so much about not throwing pearls to swine and i'm still learning, for sure. love the line, "Since all are actually in a perpetual state of seeking the truth you do not have to go looking for them." this is really cool, because sean and i talked a lot about "solicitation" on wednesday after an interesting conversation he had with his mom. this is now the third reference to the Tao for me in less than 24 hours, so i'm going to re-listen to the audio of Dyar's version now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well stated.Always challenging to know where the line of teaching and proving a point exists. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there a "point" to thoughts? Meaning, if there is a state of being we must return to, or become supremely aware/conscious of, can thoughts be of any use on that journey, or is all linear thought progression an aspect of the ego and a distraction from knowing? Is thought of any positive use? Can thought be of any positive use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I have learned the answer is yes. And that reason is to learn there is no need for any thoughts. First we must understand that a thought is made of past. If you “think” about future that is also made of past, for neither exist equally. The ego however has tried to convince us both are real and past even more real than future. Of course we only exist, will exist and have ever existed in the now.

      The fact that we think means there is a reason why it must exist. There is a need by us to ponder what has already occurred and project it onto “future.” But the main answer to your question I believe lies in suffering. When we think (read: past) we are remembering what ultimately does not work. If we “think” it works we play out every case scenario necessary for us and find ultimately once again it does NOT work. So eventually we abandon the idea…we suffer and move on. Suffering can be said to be “affliction of past” (or thinking).

      When I have thoughts of my past (which once again is the only time we have thoughts) I tended to ruminate on suffering; “what happened there.” If I thought of something “positive” I tended to suffer anyway since I did not have what was in that past and then regret/guilt set in.

      In essence, we must exist in this gigantic “thought” so we can eventually find that it does not work.

      Delete